March 15, 2012

March 15, 2012

Plateau Update:  I busted through that 19lber and ended up on the other side, woot!  After 5 VERY LONG weeks, I finally had a loss!  3.7lbs to be exact and a total of 22.7…I’m on my way again!
So here’s what I did:  I made just a few small changes and I think they were key in the fight…I paid closer attention to my heart rate monitor (and trusted it) during workouts, and I lowered my calories by 200 a day.  That seemed to be the kicker.  I can’t tell you how happy I was to get on that freaking scale and see that number go down!
I’m going to admit something…up to this point, those 3.7lbs are the most significant of my whole healthy journey…I fought HARD for them.  The part that makes me so proud is that I didn’t give up; and believe me, in my past journeys I have been the Queen of Giving Up…so now I can say that I USED to be that queen.  Now, I’m channeling Dorey…you know...from Disney’s Finding Nemo?  “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming…” You have that song in your head now, don’t you?  Sorry.
Another great aspect of this go-round is the wonderful support I have.  I have THE most supportive hubby on this planet; no matter how many times I’ve expressed my frustration, he is always there to patiently talk about it and to help me figure out what I can do to keep going and to keep motivated.  He’ll even “pause” Sports Center when I’m having one of my moments.  Just the other day, I was complaining (again!) and he asked me to do something.  He said, “Do we have water softener salt in the garage?”  I replied, “Um, I don’t know?”  You see, that’s on HIS list to keep track of ;)  So I looked in the garage and we did.  He said, “Can you bring it in?”  Now, here’s where things get a bit questionable…because you see in my house, the deal is that the Pretty Girl doesn’t have to carry heavy things unless it’s absolutely necessary.  But I thought about it, and I WAS already up, AND I’m super strong now with all this working out, so I go and grab it and bring it in.  He kindly met me halfway and he asked, “Is it heavy?”  (Insert Snotty Face here…)  I reply, “Yah, it’s 40 pounds of salt!”  He takes it from me and says “More than half of that bag is what you’ve lost.”  (Insert Light Bulb here…)
I just love him.
I also have a huge support system in my friends.  I used to think that going it alone was how I was going to succeed.  I thought:  No one else has as much to lose as I do…and I don’t want to worry about another person’s struggles, I’ve got my own!  Yah, that’s what I used to think but not anymore.  I NEED this support.  And don’t get me wrong, a weight loss journey is absolutely an individual excursion, but you need your friends to support you, to encourage you, and to scream, yell and curse the Gods who inflicted this terrible metabolism on us!  While I was trying to break this plateau, a few of my friends were also experiencing plateaus.  Do you know how much that helped me?  To know that it wasn’t just me not getting it, or that it was just me failing…That was immensely helpful to me.  With their support, I/we got through it!
So, lean on your support system and just do something every day to get healthy.  Most importantly:  don’t give up.  Just keep going…just keep going…

No comments:

Post a Comment