January 24, 2013

Non-Scale Victories Linkup

button

I love this idea by Katie at KTJ Weighing In and Lex at Life By Lex.  The scale is not the only way to gauge our successes but we put so much power in that little 12x12 box, don’t we?  Like she notes, the scale doesn’t know all of the little healthy things you choose to do during the week.  And it’s certainly not going to say, “Hey Jenn, great job for driving past that parking spot close to the door and instead choosing the one at the other end of the parking lot” or “Gurrl, I saw you kicking ass on that treadmill; all running and stuff…”

Wouldn’t it be great if it did?  That scale would be my best friend; I’d pet it and tell it how much I loved it every day...

So instead of working hard and jumping on the scale only to be kicked in the gut when it doesn’t acknowledge our hard work, Katie thought a great way to reward and REMIND ourselves how all of those little things add up, is by sharing what our non-scale victories were.

Here are some of mine:

  • Said parking spot choice above.
  • Said interval running on treadmill above.
  • Buying a sweater and a blouse in size 14/16 which I have not been able to wear in ohhhh…20 years.  I know this is relative since so many clothing designers do not follow the same sizing...but it felt good.  Really, really good.
  • Turning down a bite of a buddy’s chocolate chip cookie.
  • Eating only part of, and then throwing away the rest of, a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory chocolate caramel apple (that one was hard…)
  • Trying a new cardio class – Body Attack - and liking it…I’m a Zumba girl at heart so this was out of my zone, but I’ll try anything once!  Another great bonus to this class was stretching at the end:  I found myself performing moves that in the past I could not do because of my girth.  That was pretty exciting J
  • Eating healthy on the two nights that I did NOT plan meals for.  This one doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, but many of us know that if we don’t plan it’s harder to make healthy options.  But what was great was that I have enough healthy stuff in my house so that even when I don’t plan, I still have lots of healthy options.  In the past, I would have said, “Screw it, we’re having pizza.”
So the next time your scale is not being nice, just give it the finger and then try to remember all of the seemingly little things you’ve done during the week to make healthy choices…they add up...and then pat yourself on the back.  Go You.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have trouble remembering that the scale isn't the most important thing. Our society is so focused on numbers instead of the small things.

    ReplyDelete