September 19, 2013

No Scale September



button


Linking up again with KTJ and Ashlee for NSV Thursday!


So a couple of my friends and I are not weighing in September.  You know why?  We know that the scale is not the only way to gauge our healthy successes and we are refusing to let that little 12x12 box measure those successes!  That damn scale doesn’t know all of the little healthy things we choose to do during the day or week.  And it’s certainly not going to say:

“Hey Jenn, great job for driving past that parking spot close to the door and instead choosing the one at the other end of the parking lot” or “Gurrl, I saw you kicking ass on that treadmill; all running and stuff…”

Wouldn’t it be great if it did?  That scale would be my best friend; I’d pet it and tell it how much I loved it every day...

So instead of busting my arse and jumping on the scale every day only to be kicked in the gut when it doesn’t acknowledge my hard work, I have been increasing the amount of time between weigh-ins.  I started slowly:  Twice a week…then once a week…then once every two weeks…and now, I’m up to only weighing once a month.  EEEKKSSS, scary right?
YES, I know because my name is Jenn, and I’m a scale-aholic. Believe me, I used to put all my efforts into that stupid little box.  I broke up with the scale a long time ago, but I still use my Wii Fit to weigh in periodically.  Still, years ago, this used to be my weigh-in schedule:

Wake up:  Weigh
Get ready for work:  Weigh
Get home from work:  Weigh
Get ready for bed:  Weigh

The problem with weighing that much is that your weight fluctuates SO often during one 24 hour period.  I knew this and YET, I would still let it defeat all of my efforts. It would make or break my day by that stupid number.  Hubby got so frustrated with me that he decided to hide the scale one day…and then I found it…but I didn’t tell him.  I would wake up in the middle of the night to weigh.  How CRAY is that??

Not anymore.  I have decided to celebrate ALL of the things that I do on a daily basis that are healthy.  Each and every one of these adds up! 

Don’t give that stupid scale any more power than it should have.  It cannot measure the feeling of walking or running an extra mile, PR’ing your clean and press, biking 16 miles (yes, that one’s mine from Tuesday night!), turning down a piece of cake, getting small instead of extra-large fries, or ordering water instead of soda.  Those are just as celebratory as a number on the scale!  PLUS, it's way more fun to get on and see a bigger number...when you weigh every day, sometimes all you are seeing is point something here, point something there.  I'm excited to see what a month of healthy choices will get me!

If you place your healthy motivation at the foot of that scale, you are also giving it the power to take it away.  Don’t let the scale define your efforts.  Make a commitment to yourself that every day is another opportunity to make healthy decisions.  The power you will feel is an amazing one.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I say to my scale all the time.. "Why can't I quit you!" I may get brave one day and try to get my hubby to hide mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not weighing is so freeing. Maybe I should stop for the rest of the month. Yeah...just 9 more days! ha Mine has crept up because I started a more intense workout. I know it will go back to normal, but man it makes me crazy. You look great, girl! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete